The Abingdon Blog

The Abingdon Blog is a photo record of events and places in Abingdon, Oxfordshire, started on January 1st 2006.

Friday, 6 November 2009

Know Your Cherries?


Pictured near the River Ock. I thought it best to leave them for any birds that may need them over the winter. I wasn't sure they were really cherries.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a Guelder Rose - Viburnum Opulus. It's mildly toxic so don't give any to Harry.

5 November 2009 22:41  
Blogger Christine Walker said...

Yummy looking, though.

5 November 2009 23:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd seen these and wondered whether they were edible - it seems not. My daughter has been warned not to eat them (she's 4).

I agree, they do look yummy!

6 November 2009 06:46  
Anonymous This Charming Man said...

Too late, I've got a bunch on my mid-morning advocaat and lemonade. Cheers!

6 November 2009 13:10  
Blogger Peter said...

Wikipedia says; Viburnum Opulus - Guelder Rose
The fruit is edible in small quantities, with a very acidic taste; it can be used to make jelly. It is however very mildly toxic, and may cause vomiting or diarrhea if eaten in large amounts.

6 November 2009 13:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely guelder rose

8 November 2009 08:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home