March 15, 2017
In 1887, the British Empire celebrated Victoria’s Golden Jubilee on 20th June 1887, and a statue of Queen Victoria was presented by Edwin Trendell, and unveiled in Abingdon by Lord Wantage two days earlier.
The pedestal, of Portland stone is about seven feet high; the statue of Sycilian marble, nearly eight feet high, making the monument about fifteen feet high.
On her head Queen Victoria has a small crown with a veil. In her right hand she holds a sceptre, and in the left, instead of the more usual globe, she holds a lotus blossom to signify the Imperial reign in India. She wears a heavy velvet cloak with a lighter satin dress, and a sash as Sovereign of the Order of the Garter, a company of up to 24 Knights and lady companions.
The statue is to be found in the Abbey Gardens in Abingdon, about 50 yards from the original and more prominent position in the Market Place.
Filed under: heritage